BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] [SMB] HowTo backup non shared SMB-folder

2011-11-08 11:58:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] [SMB] HowTo backup non shared SMB-folder
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 11:48:45 -0500
sudo_root <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote on 11/08/2011 03:47:43 AM:

> One thing that I've tried to do is to backup a folder on a computer
> that is not shared.
>
> As an example, I would like to backup folder temp on mycomputer1 (I
> can access the folder with smb://computer1/c$/temp and backuppc can
> backup the C$ on same computer).
>
> I have tried with C$\temp etc but no dice.

This should work *if* the default shares are turned on and you have access to those shares (and there aren't firewall issues, etc.).  By default they're not.

A quick Google of "C$ Share Windows 7" has this as the second link.  It may help:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/cannot-network-access-windows-7-shared-c-drive/0bf04264-3336-4db6-a98c-b4c1aca35aaf

Timothy J. Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!