BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Too many links : where is the problem ?

2011-08-08 20:05:31
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Too many links : where is the problem ?
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 02:03:42 +0200
Hi,

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote on 2011-08-08 19:41:18 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
Too many links : where is the problem ?]:
> Les Mikesell wrote at about 17:43:41 -0500 on Monday, August 8, 2011:
>  > On 8/8/2011 5:33 PM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
>  > > Les Mikesell wrote at about 16:59:45 -0500 on Monday, August 8, 2011:
>  > >   >  On 8/8/2011 3:28 PM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
>  > >   >  >      Ext2/3: MAX=32000
>  > >   >  >      Ext4: MAX=65000
>  > >   >
>  > >   >  Is exceeding that a fatal error?  [...]
>  >
>  > I meant as far as backuppc is concerned.  I thought it was fairly common
>  > to have a bazillion copies of the same file scattered over your clients
>  > and backuppc did something reasonable - but I'm not quite sure what.
>
> As I mentioned in my previous post, before creating a link BackupPC
> (and also my routines too btw) check to see if HardLinkMax is exceeded
> and if so then the pool element is duplicated (actually moved
> typically) and new elements are linked to it. This just adds an
> element to the md5sum chain. This all happens automatically and
> sensibly in BackupPC.

actually, as I read the code, hitting HardLinkMax will simply make the code
disregard a pool file as possible candidate for matching. If linking to an
identified match actually fails later on, a new pool file is written. So, an
incorrect (i.e. too low) value for HardLinkMax should just make things
slightly less efficient for files actually at the real maximum (because an
additional comparison is done which could be skipped), but BackupPC should
continue to work correctly anyway.

Regards,
Holger