BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up of Windows Client Machine

2011-07-28 11:15:07
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up of Windows Client Machine
From: Alain Péan <alain.pean AT lpp.polytechnique DOT fr>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 17:13:07 +0200
Le 28/07/2011 16:50, Les Mikesell a écrit :
> On 7/28/2011 9:16 AM, Alain Péan wrote:
>> I tried myself to setup a backup of a windows machine (windows vista 64
>> bits, and 7 64 bits) using smb, and had an error similar (NT_STATUS...
>> ), but not identical to you, if I remember correctly. I am using
>> BackupPC 3.1 from the EPEL repository, and found after some research,
>> that newer version of samba were not compatible with the smbclient
>> option '-N'.
>>
>> So, I removed the -N option, modifying the line SmbClientFullCmd in the
>> web interface, and after that, all went OK. See :
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/backuppc/+bug/283652
>>
>> Your case is perhaps not the same, but if you use backuppc 3.1, you will
>> certainly face this problem.
> First make sure that the login/password you are using works to connect
> to the share from a windows client, then try the same connection from
> linux using smbclient (which should give you an ftp-like interface).  If
> you can do it from smbclient but the backuppc connection isn't working,
> then it may be the way the -N option works.   I've forgotten what
> version of samba introduced the change that made it fail.

Hi Les,

Thanks for your advice, but it is indeed what I tried, and it succeded
with something like :
# smbclient \\\\client-machine\\F\$ -U administrator

I was able to list the content of the f$ share with ls.

I am using SL6 as BackupPC server, and samba version is 3.5.4.

So removing the '-N' did the trick for me.

Cheers,
Alain

Alain Péan - LPP/CNRS
Administrateur Système/Réseau
Laboratoire de Physique des Plasmas - UMR 7648
Observatoire de Saint-Maur
4, av de Neptune, Bat. A
94100 Saint-Maur des Fossés
Tel : 01-45-11-42-39 - Fax : 01-48-89-44-33