BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up of Windows Client Machine

2011-07-28 12:11:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up of Windows Client Machine
From: Alain Péan <alain.pean AT lpp.polytechnique DOT fr>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 18:09:59 +0200
Le 28/07/2011 17:38, Les Mikesell a écrit :
> On 7/28/2011 10:13 AM, Alain Péan wrote:
>
>> Hi Les,
>>
>> Thanks for your advice, but it is indeed what I tried, and it succeded
>> with something like :
>> # smbclient \\\\client-machine\\F\$ -U administrator
>>
>> I was able to list the content of the f$ share with ls.
>>
>> I am using SL6 as BackupPC server, and samba version is 3.5.4.
>>
>> So removing the '-N' did the trick for me.
> I didn't mean to imply that this was the wrong thing to do, just that it
> only affects systems with certain versions of samba so it is worth
> making sure that the failure is not due to some other issue first.

Les, I agree with you. In fact, the error message I got (in Xfer log),
was NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED.

As the above command was working, I knew there was no problems with my
credentials. So I did some research, and found this Ubuntu bug report.
As my Samba version is recent (and needed for me, as I have a 2008 R2
domain, and joined the server using kerberos and ads), I thought it
could be the problem, and tried. And it succeeded.

But you are right, you have to verify first that your credentials are
correct, because the context and problem may be different, and the
solution not the same in other cases.

Alain

Alain Péan - LPP/CNRS
Administrateur Système/Réseau
Laboratoire de Physique des Plasmas - UMR 7648
Observatoire de Saint-Maur
4, av de Neptune, Bat. A
94100 Saint-Maur des Fossés
Tel : 01-45-11-42-39 - Fax : 01-48-89-44-33