BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up of Windows Client Machine

2011-07-28 10:18:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up of Windows Client Machine
From: Alain Péan <alain.pean AT lpp.polytechnique DOT fr>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 16:16:18 +0200
Le 28/07/2011 09:27, jiahwei a écrit :
> I tried backing it up.
>
> I installed samba on backuppc. I had the windows share configured already.
>
> I received this error.
>

> Contents of file /var/lib/BackupPC/pc/gisnb350/XferLOG.bad.z, modified
> 2011-07-28 12:29:18
>
> Running: /usr/bin/smbclient \\\\gisnb350\\C\$ -I 10.217.22.85 -U
> GENOME\\administrator -E -N -d 1 -c tarmode\ full -Tc - C\$
> full backup started for share C$
> Xfer PIDs are now 6514,6513
> Domain=[GENOME] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
> tarmode is now full, system, hidden, noreset, verbose
> NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_FILE listing \C$
> tar: dumped 0 files and directories
> Total bytes written: 0
> tarExtract: Done: 0 errors, 0 filesExist, 0 sizeExist, 0 sizeExistComp, 0
> filesTotal, 0 sizeTotal
> Got fatal error during xfer (No files dumped for share C$)
> Backup aborted (No files dumped for share C$)
> Not saving this as a partial backup since it has fewer files than the prior
> one (got 0 and 0 files versus 0)
>

> Kindly advise..
>
> thanks.

Hi Jiahwei,

I tried myself to setup a backup of a windows machine (windows vista 64
bits, and 7 64 bits) using smb, and had an error similar (NT_STATUS...
), but not identical to you, if I remember correctly. I am using
BackupPC 3.1 from the EPEL repository, and found after some research,
that newer version of samba were not compatible with the smbclient
option '-N'.

So, I removed the -N option, modifying the line SmbClientFullCmd in the
web interface, and after that, all went OK. See :
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/backuppc/+bug/283652

Your case is perhaps not the same, but if you use backuppc 3.1, you will
certainly face this problem.

Alain

Alain Péan - LPP/CNRS
Administrateur Système/Réseau
Laboratoire de Physique des Plasmas - UMR 7648
Observatoire de Saint-Maur
4, av de Neptune, Bat. A
94100 Saint-Maur des Fossés
Tel : 01-45-11-42-39 - Fax : 01-48-89-44-33