BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up of Windows Client Machine

2011-07-27 10:22:55
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up of Windows Client Machine
From: Alain Péan <alain.pean AT lpp.polytechnique DOT fr>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 16:20:37 +0200
Le 27/07/2011 10:46, jiahwei a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I would need some guidance to installing samba on the windows Xp client
> machine so that I can do the backup on my Backuppc host which is running on
> Redhat.
>

> Read some of the thread that it would require the cygwin. Can anyone tell me
> more about it?
> Would appreciate much help.
>
> Thanks. =)

Hi jiahwei,

I think you have to learn some system administration... Samba is not a
software to install on windows XP. In fact, SMB (Server Message Block)
is a protocole that is used since at least 20 years by microsoft for
"shares", that permit the exchange of data between windows machines
inside a same workgroup/domain. Nothing to install. Just know that, by
default, there exist "administative" shares for each partitions : c$,
d$, ...
Samba is a Linux/Unix software that was developped to simulate this
protocol, and allow Linux/Unix machines to share data (and more), with
windows machine. That is what is useful here.

Cygwin is another method to access the data, using rsync or rsyncd. In
fact, BackupPC can use four methods to backup the PCs : smb (for
windows), rsync, rsyncd, or FTP. You can configure the method you want
for each host using the web interface.

Did you read the documentation ?
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#step_5__client_setup

Alain

Alain Péan - LPP/CNRS
Administrateur Système/Réseau
Laboratoire de Physique des Plasmas - UMR 7648
Observatoire de Saint-Maur
4, av de Neptune, Bat. A
94100 Saint-Maur des Fossés
Tel : 01-45-11-42-39 - Fax : 01-48-89-44-33