BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] My Solution for "Off-Site"

2011-07-25 08:41:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] My Solution for "Off-Site"
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 07:39:56 -0500
On 07/25 07:46 , gimili wrote:
> Simple is good.  I also use 3 external eSATA drives.  I haven't tried
> this yet but I was considering using a cron job to run the command line
> command that generates a large tar file of the backup.  I had a complete
> hard disk failure 7 months ago and this was how I moved the data from
> the backuppc machine to the new replacement drive on my server.  The
> only thing I would have to do is remember to cycle the disks.
>
> Any comments on pros/cons to this method?

If you're using a script that generates archive files, one big advantage is
that they are independent of backuppc's storage layout. even without the
backup server you can just unpack them and have a working system (provided
your backups are set up that way).

I've got at least one site that is set up that way. The users onsite just
remember to swap a USB disk once a week; the script mounts it, deletes old
archives off it, and makes new archives to it, then unmounts the disk and
mails the script output to interested parties.

Let me know if you'd like the script. It's crude, but does work.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator