BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] My Solution for "Off-Site"

2011-07-11 15:15:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] My Solution for "Off-Site"
From: Christian Völker <chrischan AT knebb DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 21:13:33 +0200
On 11/07/2011 21:03, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Without the lvm snapshots, isn't there a danger of something corrupting
> the master server's filesystem and having it propagate to the drbd copy
> instantly?

You're absolutely right. And this is the reason why I have the LVM
snapshots. I can go back 5 weeks with the snapshots.  That's enough to
prevent any serious issues. When the file system gets unreadable I
usually notice it immediately- and roll back to previous snapshot.

BTW: The same would happen with the often so proposed "take off a disk
of your RAID1". In some way you have to trust the filesystem. Of course
rsync'ing it from host A with ext3 to host B with XFS would be a better
solution security wise. But as you know rsync is not the best solution here.

I trust my file system at least for 5 weeks ;)

Greetings

Christian