BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] My Solution for "Off-Site"

2011-07-11 16:00:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] My Solution for "Off-Site"
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 14:58:14 -0500
On 7/11/2011 2:13 PM, Christian Völker wrote:

>> Without the lvm snapshots, isn't there a danger of something corrupting
>> the master server's filesystem and having it propagate to the drbd copy
>> instantly?
>>
> You're absolutely right. And this is the reason why I have the LVM
> snapshots. I can go back 5 weeks with the snapshots.  That's enough to
> prevent any serious issues. When the file system gets unreadable I
> usually notice it immediately- and roll back to previous snapshot.
>
> BTW: The same would happen with the often so proposed "take off a disk
> of your RAID1".

The way my 'take a disk off RAID1' works is that there are 3 spare
disks, with at least one always offsite in the rotation and another one
wouldn't be brought back if there was any reason to suspect that the
filesystem was corrupt as copied on the most recent.

> In some way you have to trust the filesystem.

You have to trust that it works when it appears to be working.  You
don't have to trust it to keep working through your next copy.

> Of course
> rsync'ing it from host A with ext3 to host B with XFS would be a better
> solution security wise. But as you know rsync is not the best solution here.

Even rsync'ing would leave you in a strange state if the source dies in
mid-copy to your only target.

> I trust my file system at least for 5 weeks ;)

I don't trust anything in the same building or anything that can be
corrupted by a live copy.  And I don't know enough about lvm to
understand how you can drbd to the live partition while keeping
snapshots of old copies.  I wouldn't have expected that to work.  Are
they really layered correctly so the lvm copy-on-write business works?