BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Installation of BackupPC

2011-07-22 08:55:47
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Installation of BackupPC
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 07:54:20 -0500
On 7/22/11 3:49 AM, Alain Péan wrote:
> Hi Jiahwei,
>
> As you can see, you have a problem with a hardlink. The default location
> for BachpPC data pool is /var/lib/BackupPC. I guess you tried to change
> this location to another one, by setting a hard link. I tried this
> myself, and it failed. Whad I did, is to mount an external storage under
> /backup, copied the content of /var/lib/BackupPC inside (with the same
> owner, backuppc, and rights), and change the configuration in
> /etc/BackupPC/config.pl :
>
> #$Conf{TopDir}      = '/var/lib/BackupPC/';
> $Conf{TopDir} = '/backup';

This only works with 3.2 versions.  With earlier versions you can set the
location during the initial install, but if you  use a distribution packaged
version (.deb or .rpm) that has already been done and you need to symlink or
bind mount the new partition into the expected location.  If you installed from
source and haven't changed the location, it may be a permission problem that is
keeping the test hard link from working or perhaps the filesystem you are using
doesn't support hardlinks (vfat or a remote windows share).