BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Yet another filesystem thread

2011-06-30 10:12:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Yet another filesystem thread
From: "C. Ronoz" <chronoz AT eproxy DOT nl>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 16:09:52 +0200
On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 07:56:59AM -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 5:54 AM, C. Ronoz <chronoz AT eproxy DOT nl> wrote:
> > I found out that BackupPC is ignoring my Excludes though, while I have a
> > 15GB /pub partition.
> > This could explain why the run takes longer, but it should still finish
> > within an hour?
> > Rsnapshot runs were always lightning fast, network is 1gbit.
> >
> > $Conf{BackupFilesOnly} = {};
> > $Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = {'/proc', '/blaat', '/pub', '/tmp'};
>
> You have to setup the excludes to match the transfer method you're
> using. In the case of rsync I believe they must be relative to the
> backup root.
>
> Here's a snippet from my config. Since I mainly backup home
> directories I exclude stuff like cache and other folder that don't
> need to be backed up.
>
> $Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = {
>   '*' => [
>     '.cache',
>     '.thumbnails',
>     '.gvfs',
>     '.xsession-errors',
>     '.recently-used.xbel',
>     '.recent-applications.xbel',
>     '.Private',
>     '.mozilla'
>   ]
> };
>
> Notice there are no '/' on the front of my excludes. Until I setup
> things like this my excludes didn't work.
>
> Richard

I see how you use excludes to exclude back-ups of files with specific
extensions, but then how do I now exclude specific paths per host?

I am planning to back-up about 15 Linux webservers with different roles. Some
host specific archives that take up much space, but do not require back-ups.
e.g. 1 server hosts 50GB of downloads in /pub. Another server hosts 10GB of
internal downloads (installers, windows service packs) in
/sites/site/httpdocs/downloads.

Does your set-up back up /proc as well? This seems to make doing a bare metal
recovery harder, or should I not strive for such a solution?