BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] different settings for different shares on the same host

2011-06-30 09:16:33
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] different settings for different shares on the same host
From: Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 08:15:06 -0500
On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 2:51 AM, Micha Silver <Micha AT arava.co DOT il> wrote:
> Hello:
> Is there a way to set a different backup schedule for one share on a host -
> different from the host's settings?
> I have a Win2K3 host, being backed up thru smb. BackupPC 3.1.0 on a CentOS
> server. All shares are listed for full and incremental at a certain
> schedule. I need, for one of the shares, to keep only it's full backups for
> a much longer retention time i.e. $FullAgeMax and $FullKeepCnt larger than
> all the other shares.
>
> Is this possible??

Very. What you end up doing is setting up an alias which *acts* like a
separate host but isn't. It can be a little confusing at first but
keep reading until it makes sense :)

http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#_conf_clientnamealias_

It's getting a little fuzzy but I think what I ended up doing was
making a copy of the host in the BackupPC web interface
<newhost>==<oldhost> and then setting the ClientNameAlias and updating
the backup settings.

Richard