BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Yet another filesystem thread

2011-06-30 10:26:52
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Yet another filesystem thread
From: Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 09:25:16 -0500
On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 9:09 AM, C. Ronoz <chronoz AT eproxy DOT nl> wrote:
> I see how you use excludes to exclude back-ups of files with specific
> extensions, but then how do I now exclude specific paths per host?

Well, it's not file specific. Some of those are directories.

On a per host basis you just override the system excludes and setup
the excludes for that particular host.

> I am planning to back-up about 15 Linux webservers with different roles. Some
> host specific archives that take up much space, but do not require back-ups.
> e.g. 1 server hosts 50GB of downloads in /pub. Another server hosts 10GB of
> internal downloads (installers, windows service packs) in
> /sites/site/httpdocs/downloads.

Well, if your backup root / backup share is literally ROOT, "/", then
your excludes should just be relative from that, i.e. "pub", not
"/pub". Remember that BacupPC is essentially "clientless" so if you
need to do more advanced excludes you need to look at the rsync
documentation, not the BackupPC documentation (other than how to
correctly put it in the config file).

> Does your set-up back up /proc as well? This seems to make doing a bare metal
> recovery harder, or should I not strive for such a solution?

Well two things here:
1. I think rsync is smart enough to skip things like /proc, /dev, and such.
2. Although it can be done, BackupPC is not the right tool to do bare
metal restores. It's designed to backup files, not file systems.

There's plenty of mailing list threads, blogs, and wiki's on how to
work around that, but that's exactly what it is, a work around.

Richard