BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Yet another filesystem thread

2011-06-29 11:11:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Yet another filesystem thread
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 10:09:49 -0500
On 6/29/2011 9:31 AM, C. Ronoz wrote:
> What filesystem should I use? It seems ext4 and reiserfs are the only viable
> options. I just hate the slowness of ext3 for rm -rf hardlink jobs, while xfs
> and btrfs seem to be very unstable.
>
> - How stable is XFS?
> - Is reiserfs (much) better at hard-link removal?
> - Is reiserfs (much) less stable compared to ext4?
>
> BackupPC seems to recommend reiserfs although many sites say it's still an
> unstable file system that does not have much lifespan left.

The backuppc discussions you found on filesystems were probably from
long ago.  At this point I'd probably use ext4 on a linux distribution
that included it.  XFS should also be OK on 64-bit systems.

> My first back-up has been taking 12 hours for a small server and it's still
> processing... there's only a few gigabytes of data on the Linux machine.
> There should be more than enough power as rsnapshot back-ups always were done
> in quick fashion. Even Bacula was able to do back-ups in less than 10 minutes.

While there are some differences in filesystem speeds in certain
operations, it isn't on that scale.  Also note that if you are using
rsync based backups with the checksum-seed option the fulls may be
faster after the first two runs have completed.  Until then, a full
involves reading every file on both the target and server and
uncompressing on the server side to recompute the rsync checksums.

> Also, I removed a few backups via the shell script from the wiki... but I
> still see many references to the old test hosts? How can I clean up the
> entire installation? I don't mind removing all data, I just don't want to
> waste back-up space on previously back-upped servers that have been removed.

The space should be released when BackuPC_Nightly runs.  If you want to
start over quickly, I'd make a new filesystem on your archive partition
(assuming you did mount a separate partition there, which is always a
good idea...) and re-install the program.