BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] serial or parallel backups

2011-06-26 17:09:38
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] serial or parallel backups
From: Steve <leperas AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 17:08:12 -0400
I just depends on any particular setup, and what the most limiting
factor is.  Sound like for you it's bandwidth, but that may not always
be true, even for you, depending on how much your data changes from
backup to backup and things like that.

I would argue that if you have so few machines that you can run them
one-at-a-time, you should, and why not?  It's clearly faster for you
and in addition, keeps the server less loaded and the network less
loaded.  What possible advantage could there be to run them together?

E.

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 4:48 PM, Chris Baker <cbaker AT intera DOT com> wrote:
> I have been wondering about this for a while. Am I better off having
> backups run parallel or in series?
>
> By running in series, I mean one backup runs at a time. When it finishes,
> another one starts.
>
> By running parallel, I mean that several backups run at once. It seems
> that when backups have to fight over bandwidth, they all end up running
> much more slowly. I have it set up to run four backups at once.
>
> A server that rarely runs more than one back has achieved throughput as
> high as 24.13 MB/sec. However, the server with four backups has a maximum
> of only 5.71 MB/sec. Bottom line, the four when added up still don't get
> as good a throughput as the single backup.
>
> What does everyone here think?
>
> Chris Baker
> cbaker AT intera DOT com
> 512-425-2006

"It turns out there is considerable overlap between the smartest bears
and the dumbest tourists."