BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] serial or parallel backups

2011-06-26 16:50:50
Subject: [BackupPC-users] serial or parallel backups
From: Chris Baker <cbaker AT intera DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 15:48:20 -0500
I have been wondering about this for a while. Am I better off having
backups run parallel or in series?

By running in series, I mean one backup runs at a time. When it finishes,
another one starts.

By running parallel, I mean that several backups run at once. It seems
that when backups have to fight over bandwidth, they all end up running
much more slowly. I have it set up to run four backups at once.

A server that rarely runs more than one back has achieved throughput as
high as 24.13 MB/sec. However, the server with four backups has a maximum
of only 5.71 MB/sec. Bottom line, the four when added up still don't get
as good a throughput as the single backup.

What does everyone here think?

Chris Baker
cbaker AT intera DOT com
512-425-2006