BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to delete specific files from backups? (with BackupPC_deleteFile.pl)

2011-05-23 15:06:32
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to delete specific files from backups? (with BackupPC_deleteFile.pl)
From: Nick Bright <oz AT valnet DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 14:05:11 -0500
On 5/23/2011 10:14 AM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
>   >  The usage *clearly* gives a list of required input parameters,
>   >  including share name:
>   >   -s<share>
>   >  Also, the usage says to use '-m' if you want to use unmangled paths.
>   >
>   >  So true there are not any specific examples, but the usage (-h) is
>   >  rather completely documented...

Just saying what's expected isn't the same as giving an example of valid
input. My root question really came down to "What is a share? What goes
there?", "How do I specify a filename?" and "What does mangled mean? How
do I mangle?". If you already *know* these things, it's very simple. If
you don't, then the lack of examples makes it very difficult to
understand what to do. I understand what these mean now, thanks to your
thorough explanation.

> To clarify, here is the quote from the usage:
>      -s<share>     Share name (or - for all) from which path is offset
>                    (don't include the 'f' mangle)
>                    NOTE: if unmangle option (-m) is not set then the share
> name
>                    is optional and if not specified then it must instead be
>                    included in mangled form as part of the file/directory
> names.
>
> So, you can do any of the following assuming your share name is '/'
>
> With mangling
> BackupPC_deleteFile.pl -h hostname -n - -d 4 f%2f/fvar/flog/fmaillog
> BackupPC_deleteFile.pl -h hostname -n - -s / -d 4 /fvar/flog/fmaillog
> BackupPC_deleteFile.pl -h hostname -n - -s %2f -d 4 /fvar/flog/fmaillog
>
> Without mangling:
> BackupPC_deleteFile.pl -h hostname -n - -s / -m -d 4 /var/log/maillog
> BackupPC_deleteFile.pl -h hostname -n - -s %2f -m -d 4 /var/log/maillog
>
> You could also use '-s -' to include any share and you could remove
> the leading slash before (f)var in all but the first example.

Thank you very much Jeffrey. The problem was my lack of understanding
regarding what the "share name" is and represents. Having "set it and
forget it" with BackupPC almost three years ago, I didn't recall those
basic concepts.

I would suggest, to help out people such as myself who may not be strong
in all of the concepts of BackupPC, to put what you've replied to me
with on to the wiki page for the BackupPC_deleteFile script, as your
explanation is quite clear and concise.

Again, thank you for taking the time to reply with very helpful information.

-  Nick Bright                                -
- Are your files safe?                        -
- Valnet Vault - Secure Cloud Backup          -
- More information&  30 day free trial at     -
- http://www.valnet.net/services/valnet-vault -