BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] No ping respons on localhost after ubuntu upgrade

2011-05-23 15:50:09
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] No ping respons on localhost after ubuntu upgrade
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Brycie <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>, bryce AT bdrm.org DOT uk
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 21:50:02 +0200
Hi,

Brycie wrote on 2011-05-23 07:24:50 -0700 [[BackupPC-users] No ping respons on
localhost after ubuntu upgrade]:
> I had exactly the same problem,

I suppose you're referring to something?

> |This was sent by bryce AT bdrm.org DOT uk via Backup Central.

Ah, yes. I see where the problem is.

> [...]
> It appears that BackupPC under Ubuntu 11.04 has started to use IPv6 when
> pinging localhost.

It's certainly interesting to know that the cause is a brainless bug in the
Ubuntu backuppc package. Aside from that, it's not really on-topic here.

> The solution is to simply add the following to config.pl:
>
> $Conf{Ping6Path} = '/bin/ping6'; undefined

Well,
1.) Unquoted string "undefined" may clash with future reserved word
2.) Useless use of a constant in void context
3.) Unless that's the last non comment line in config.pl, you should even
    get a syntax error.
4.) It's not a solution, it's a workaround. For localhost, testing whether
    it is up before proceeding is somewhat optional. Experience indicates
    that it usually is. For other hosts, you need to use whatever the
    transport will (strictly, you should use TCP syn probes to the correct
    port). There's not much point in requiring a working IPv6 path to the
    client host if ssh is going to use (or would fall back to using) an
    IPv4 connection.

Regards,
Holger