BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to delete specific files from backups?

2011-05-22 20:17:00
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to delete specific files from backups?
From: Nick Bright <oz AT valnet DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 19:14:49 -0500
On 5/22/2011 5:48 PM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> Nick Bright wrote at about 16:06:32 -0500 on Sunday, May 22, 2011:
>   >  On 5/22/2011 3:29 PM, Michael Stowe wrote:
>   >  >>  Recently I had a bit of an error condition that generated several
> very,
>   >  >>  very large files on the file system of a server being backed up by
>   >  >>  BackupPC. This resulted in>200GB of files having been backed up to
> the
>   >  >>  backuppc server that quite simply don't need to be there!
>   >  >>
>   >  >>  What can I do to remove these specific files from all backups on the
>   >  >>  backuppc server? It's just a waste of space so I really need to make
>   >  >>  them go away.
>   >  >>
>   >  >>     - Nick
>   >  >  Probably the simplest way is to search for the file (and all its hard
>   >  >  links) in your backuppc tree and ... delete them.  If you have no
> other
>   >  >  files that large, it's a fairly straightforward "find" command.
>   >  >
>   >  I thought of that, but I wasn't sure if it would "break" anything. Guess
>   >  I should have said so :)
>   >

> In general it *definitely* breaks things -- whether you care that it
> breaks things and whether that breakage is critical is a different
> story -- specifically it breaks the meta data stored in the attrib
> files and can cause problems with filling in incrementals...

Sounds to me like the BackupPC_deleteFile script is the way to go:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/backuppc/index.php?title=BackupPC_DeleteFile

I found it some time after posting my original question.

- Nick Bright                                 -
- Are your files safe?                        -
- Valnet Vault - Secure Cloud Backup          -
- More information&  30 day free trial at     -
- http://www.valnet.net/services/valnet-vault -