BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] ping failures: dhcp clients and different subnets

2011-05-19 04:52:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] ping failures: dhcp clients and different subnets
From: Tobias Mayer <tobias.mayer AT hhi.fraunhofer DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 10:50:49 +0200
On 17.05.2011 20:17, Tobias Mayer wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm running into problems by using backuppc with dhcp clients which are
>> using a different subnet then the backuppc server.
>> (It's not possible to use backuppc server and clients in the same subnet
>> in this case. DNS Server doesn't accept DynamicDNS entries.)
>>
>> Error:
>> Backup Process don't start because of ping fails.
>> "Pings to sec43-dyn27 have failed 550 consecutive times."
>>
>> I have customize the NmbLookupFindHostCmd variable in config.pl and
>> using the program nbtscan to get netbiosnames.
>> $Conf{NmbLookupFindHostCmd} =
>> '/usr/local/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC_get_HostIP $host';
>>
>> content:
>> #!/bin/sh
>> test ! -z "$1" || { echo "keinen HOST angegeben" ;exit 1;}
>> SEARCH="$1"
>> FILE='/tmp/pclist.txt'
>> /usr/sbin/nbtscan -s : subnet1>    $FILE
>> /usr/sbin/nbtscan -s : subnet2>>   $FILE
>> /usr/sbin/nbtscan -s : subnet3>>   $FILE
>> /usr/sbin/nbtscan -s : subnet4>>   $FILE
>> IP=`grep -i $SEARCH $FILE | cut -d ":" -f1`
>> echo "$IP $SEARCH"
>>
>> output is (example):
>> 192.168.1.1 sec43-dyn27
>>

>> If I start a backup from the console as backuppc user<BackupPC_dump -i
>> sec43-dyn27>   then everything is fine. But if I perform a backup from the
>> webfrontend then nothing happens besides the increasing of ping failure
>> counter.
>>
>> Any suggestions?? Which programs will be startet in which order when I
>> perform the backup from the webfrontend???
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>> Heiko
>>
>> btw: If I set the variable "PingCmd"  to $Conf{PingCmd} = '/bin/true'
>> then I got the same failure.
>>

> Hi Heiko!
>
> I seem to have the same problem as you, without the client PCs being on a
> different subnet, so it's a little easier for me. But i do not think this
> actually matters.
>
> After looking at the code of the main "BackupPC" script for a while,
> - and adding a lot of additional logging output -
> i noticed that the sub(routine) "QueueOnePC" does not put the Task into
> the queue if the specified host is a dhcp one. To circumvent this, i simply
> removed the "else {" from line 1718.
> Also, the BackupPC_dump script exits with return code 1 if given the
> IP-address
> instead of the hostname, so i changed the lines containg the
> "unshift"-commands
> to fill the "host"-variable with "$host" instead of "$hostIP" in lines 1733,
> 1740 and 1748.
>
> with these changes, BackupPC_dump is called correctly, but i don't know if i
> broke something else in the process.
> rsync is still running on my client, so i'm waiting for the incremental backup
> to succeed or fail.
>
> also, i'm not sure that this will fix scheduled backups as well.
> I hope i can spend some more time on this tomorrow, and will report on my
> [...]

after leaving BackupPC running with my changes it seems to work for my
Windows 7 Client. (both manual and scheduled jobs)
Unfortunately I can not test this on linux/*nix clients right now, since
we simply don't have any. So my changes are likely to break something
in other configurations.

Can anyone with knowledge of the code please have a look at this?

Thanks,
Tobias

--
tobias.mayer AT hhi.fraunhofer DOT de

Tel +49 30 314-28691

Fraunhofer Heinrich Hertz Institute /
Technische Universität Berlin

Einsteinufer 17, 10587 Berlin, Germany

www.hhi.fraunhofer.de

--
Visit us at

SID Display Week 2011 / May 15-20 / Los Angeles, CA, USA / booth 1019-4 (German
Pavilion)
www.hhi.fraunhofer.de/sid

Compound Semiconductor Week 2011 / May 22-26 / Berlin, Germany / Maritim
proArte Hotel
http://conference.vde.com/csw2011/pages/homepage.aspx

>>From Data Collection to Display - Technology Conference and Exhibition
University of California, Berkeley, USA / May 26
http://www.hhi.fraunhofer.de/ucberkeley