BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup retention and deletion.

2011-05-13 22:11:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup retention and deletion.
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell AT digitalkingdom DOT org>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 04:09:51 +0200
Hi,

Robin Lee Powell wrote on 2011-05-13 14:36:14 -0700 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
Backup retention and deletion.]:
> On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 10:47:27PM +0200, Matthias Meyer wrote:
> > Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > My questions:
> > >
> > > 1.  When and how do deletions of the excess occur?

read the comments in config.pl or the source of BackupPC_dump if you want the
details.

> [snip]
> > > $Conf{FullKeepCnt} = '25';
> > > $Conf{FullKeepCntMin} = '5';
> > > $Conf{FullAgeMax}     = '60';
> [snip]
> >
> I want it to delete all the fulls older than 60 days.
> FullKeepCntMin is only 5, so if I have more than 5 fulls (which I
> do), then everything older than FullAgeMax should be deleted, no?

No.

config.pl commented on 2010-07-31 19:52 [BackupPC 3.2.0]:
# Note that $Conf{FullAgeMax} will be increased to $Conf{FullKeepCnt}
# times $Conf{FullPeriod} if $Conf{FullKeepCnt} specifies enough
# full backups to exceed $Conf{FullAgeMax}.

Why don't you simply set FullKeepCnt to the number of backups you want to keep
(which appears to be about 16)?

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Holger