BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Windows backups with vss/rsync?

2011-03-11 12:04:15
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Windows backups with vss/rsync?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 11:02:25 -0600
What's the current state of the art of doing windows backups? I've just
been using smb and letting a commercial system run separately to cover
the open file and permission failures I see, but now I'm down to one
windows file server in this location and I'd like to make backuppc
reliable enough to shut the other system down.

Google popped this:
http://majentis.com/2011/01/03/backuppc-with-sshrsyncvss-on-windows-server/
up near the top of the list, and it seems to imply that a stock cygwin
1.7 install and a bash file using 'at' to escalate permissions over what
you get with the shell under ssh is all you need.   Are there better
ways?  For this, I don't really care about acls or being able to restore
the system files and I prefer bash over batch syntax.