BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup backuppc pool with rsync offsite

2011-02-24 17:23:52
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup backuppc pool with rsync offsite
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 16:21:27 -0600
On 2/22/2011 9:17 PM, Dennis Blewett wrote:
> 13,849 items, totalling 3.8 GB
>
> It would appear that I have a feasible number of files. I'm not sure how
> many more files I will have by the end of April, though.
>
> I've read about that "rsync -H" would be a practical command to use on
> the backuppc folder.

It seems reasonable for that scale.  Alternatively, for something that
size you probably have enough of a backup window overnight to let the
offsite server run an independent instance of backuppc hitting the
source directly.

> What I'm also curious about is if I should be rsyncing any other files,
> thus allowing me to restore from the offsite backup in the case I lose
> everything and rebuild a backuppc configuration: I would attempt to
> rsync back to my computer with the new backuppc configuration and
> attempt to restore/recover said files.

I don't think anyone answered this - and it is probably because it will
depend on how you installed backuppc.  The distribution-packaged
versions probably move the config files somewhere under /etc.  You
should be able to use the distribution package manager tools to find
where it installed things.  For example, on a CentOS box with the EPEL
rpm installed the command 'rpm -q --list BackupPC' shows that it has put
things in /etc/BackupPC.  But other packaging might be different.