BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup backuppc pool with rsync offsite

2011-02-23 09:28:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup backuppc pool with rsync offsite
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen AT complete DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 14:26:33 +0000 (UTC)
Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome <at> real-time.com> writes:

> On 02/21 11:00 , Dennis Blewett wrote:
> > Will I come across many problems in later restoring the pool's data if I
> > just rsync /var/lib/backuppc to the server?
> > Are there other files and folders I should be rsync'ing to the server?
>
> rsync'ing the BackupPC data pool is generally recommended against. The
> number of hardlinks causes an explosive growth in memory consumption by
> rsync and while you may be able to get away with it if you have 20GB of
> data (depending on how much memory you have); you will likely run out of
> memory when your amount of data gets larger.

One thing to consider: you could omit the syncing of pool/ and cpool/ when
rsyncing to remote if you are rsyncing for disaster recovery purposes only.
This will save some memory/time.  Note however that rsyncing the BackupPC tree
will likely be less efficient than just an rsync directly, because it won't be
able to use binary deltas during transfer since it will appear to rsync as if
the files are new since they have new names.

-- John