BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup backuppc pool with rsync offsite

2011-02-23 09:10:11
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup backuppc pool with rsync offsite
From: Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey AT BUC DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 09:08:29 -0500
On 2/22/2011 11:13 PM, Timothy J Massey wrote:
> Dennis Blewett <dennis.blewett AT gmail DOT com> wrote on 02/22/2011 10:17:29
> PM:
>
> > 13,849 items, totalling 3.8 GB
> >
> > It would appear that I have a feasible number of files. I'm not sure
> > how many more files I will have by the end of April, though.
> >
> > I've read about that "rsync -H" would be a practical command to use
> > on the backuppc folder.
> >
> > What I'm also curious about is if I should be rsyncing any other
> > files, thus allowing me to restore from the offsite backup in the
> > case I lose everything and rebuild a backuppc configuration: I would
> > attempt to rsync back to my computer with the new backuppc
> > configuration and attempt to restore/recover said files.
>
> * For most people, rsync does not work to replicate a backup server
> effectively.  Period.  I think *no* one would suggest this as a
> reliable ongoing method of replicating a BackupPC server.  Ever.
>
> You may have a dozen different comments on why you want to use rsync,
> how much better and easier it would be, why a block-based clone
> doesn't do what you want, how cumbersome and annoying it would be,
> etc. etc.  That is *all* well and good, and nearly all of us would
> agree with you--except for the fact that an rsync of the pool just
> doesn't work in the vast majority of cases.

What it boils down to is this:  Try it and see.  If the rsync process is
still churning after 24 hrs, then it is probably not a practical
option...  :)

Also keep in mind that as your pool grows, the rsync transfer times will
get longer and longer.  So even if it works ok now, it will eventually
get to the point where it is no longer feasible.

--
Bowie