BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Does anybody have a live CD with backuppc installed?

2011-02-13 02:06:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Does anybody have a live CD with backuppc installed?
From: hansbkk AT gmail DOT com
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 14:03:59 +0700
Grml's persistence feature is the same as Debian LiveCDs - just create
an ext3 partition labeled "live-rw" and boot with the kernel option
("cheat code") of "persistence", and everything's automatically
persistent. Can also use a loopback file if you don't want to dedicate
a partition (although this could just be a USB). Can have a separate
partition/USB/file for /home as well or instead, or take manual
fs-snapshots if you prefer.

It's also easy to setup GRUB2 to boot a Debian-based ISO from the HD
if you're booting it regularly, much faster, more durable and more
convenient than physical discs.

Tangential thinking out loud:

If you have a limited time window to back up a lot of clients, this
allows you to have multiple BPC hosts running concurrently without
having to dedicate hardware to the task - a well-segmented network
scheme and fast clustered SAN/NAS storage will help reduce the
bottlenecking from those factors. Or at the other extreme, have a BPC
boot disc/image on key hosts configured to automate backing up to its
own dedicated filesystem (external drive for off-site rotation) -
multi-platform "Time Machine" functionality.