BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Does anybody have a live CD with backuppc installed?

2011-02-12 12:26:57
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Does anybody have a live CD with backuppc installed?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 11:24:42 -0600
On 2/11/11 6:09 PM, John Rouillard wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I guess the subject kind of says most of it. We keep our backuppc data
> in an external drive bay. If our server should die, we are looking at
> a mechanism to boot another system from CD and access the backup
> array.
>
> Before I start working on this I thought I'd ask and see if anybody
> had one they would be willing to share, or could provide tips on how
> you did it if you can't share.

I can dual-boot my laptop into linux and connect the disk that I mirror for
offsite storage via usb - and it really wouldn't take that long to install a
system from scratch if I had to.  But now that you mention it, it would be
great
to do it with one of those liveCD distros that let you install things
permanently on a flash drive, especially if you are able to keep using newer
versions to be more likely to work with current hardware without repeating a
lot
of work.