BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] One more time

2011-02-07 13:59:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] One more time
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 12:57:59 -0600
On 2/7/2011 12:41 PM, David Williams wrote:

>>> The problem that I have is that I travel everyweek and hook my laptop
>>> onto clients networks so DHCP is needed.
>>> That said, perhaps there is a way (I think there is) that I can force my
>>> DHCP server at home to always provide the same internal IP address to my
>>> laptop right, by specifying the MAC address or something?
>> Yes, all DHCP servers should have a way to reserve an IP by MAC address,
>> and most will give the same MAC the same IP for some reasonable length
>> of time anyway unless there is a big turnover with the lease expired.
>> *Anyway, if you just connect to the backuppc web interface from the
>> laptop itself and request the backup, it will find you - and keep
>> working at least until the IP changes.*
>>
> I do connect to the web interface from the laptop itself and request the
> backup and I get the following message:
>
> laptop1 is a DHCP host, and I don't know its IP address. I checked the
> netbios name of 192.168.15.155, and found that that machine is not laptop1.

That doesn't mean it can't find you. It means it didn't like the name it
found.

> Until I see laptop1 at a particular DHCP address, you can only start
> this request from the client machine itself.
>
> That's my issue, but will look into trying to reserve a specific address
> for this laptop as that's probably an easier solution to the problem, at
> least for me :)

The check could be case sensitive.  What do you see if you do:
nmblookup -A 192.168.15.155

or from windows, 'nbtstat -A 192.168.15.155'?

Also, a quick brute-force fix would be to set ClientAlias to the current
IP address of the box, changing as needed.