BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] One more time

2011-02-07 13:42:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] One more time
From: David Williams <dwilliams AT dtw-consulting DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 12:41:06 -0600

On 2/7/2011 12:32 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
On 2/7/2011 11:38 AM, David Williams wrote:
The problem that I have is that I travel everyweek and hook my laptop
onto clients networks so DHCP is needed.
That said, perhaps there is a way (I think there is) that I can force my
DHCP server at home to always provide the same internal IP address to my
laptop right, by specifying the MAC address or something?
Yes, all DHCP servers should have a way to reserve an IP by MAC address,
and most will give the same MAC the same IP for some reasonable length
of time anyway unless there is a big turnover with the lease expired.
Anyway, if you just connect to the backuppc web interface from the
laptop itself and request the backup, it will find you - and keep
working at least until the IP changes.

I do connect to the web interface from the laptop itself and request the backup and I get the following message:

laptop1 is a DHCP host, and I don't know its IP address. I checked the netbios name of 192.168.15.155, and found that that machine is not laptop1.

Until I see laptop1 at a particular DHCP address, you can only start this request from the client machine itself.

That's my issue, but will look into trying to reserve a specific address for this laptop as that's probably an easier solution to the problem, at least for me :)