BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC very slow backing up 25GB files

2011-02-03 11:39:54
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC very slow backing up 25GB files
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen AT complete DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 16:37:39 +0000 (UTC)
John Goerzen <jgoerzen <at> complete.org> writes:

> So I should add that additional testing shows that it was only the first full
> backup that was fast.  Every subsequent backup, whether full or incremental,
> proceeded at the same very slow pace.  rsync pegged at almost 100% CPU on the
> machine being backed up either way.

Here is some additional information.  I can definitively claim that this is a
BackupPC problem.

I compressed the file with gzip -3 (*not* using --rsyncable).  That shrank it
from 20GB to 4GB.

Running a backuppc incremental on it from one day to the next takes about 80
minutes to transfer it.

Transferring it using rsync directly takes 13 minutes.  And it has rsync at
about 85% CPU usage instead of 99%.

I am not using compression on the backuppc server.  Additionally, it takes
BackupPC much longer to checksum the local file before it starts transferring
(maybe 2 or 3 minutes vs. 30 seconds).  That's not such a big deal; the 80
minutes vs. 13 is what I'm more concerned about.

The version of rsync on the server being backed up is 2.6.9.  Although I have a
3.x version on the backup server itself with which I'm doing these tests, it's
not a protocol 30 difference because the remote version is 2.6.9.

So why is it so much slower with backuppc?  I'm wondering if it has something to
do with blocksize -- is it negotiating a 2k blocksize even if I remove the
--block-size parameter?

This could be a serious problem for us.

Thanks,

-- John