BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC very slow backing up 25GB files

2011-02-02 10:15:25
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC very slow backing up 25GB files
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen AT complete DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 15:12:55 +0000 (UTC)
John Goerzen <jgoerzen <at> complete.org> writes:

> I've been noticing something weird here.  I backed up a machine here for
> the first time.  The full backup took 28 minutes.  The incrementals then
> took 602 minutes, and the next one 629 minutes.  Very strange, eh?

So I should add that additional testing shows that it was only the first full
backup that was fast.  Every subsequent backup, whether full or incremental,
proceeded at the same very slow pace.  rsync pegged at almost 100% CPU on the
machine being backed up either way.

I don't know if this is a particular feature of how BackupPC is using rsync, or
an innate part of the rsync algorithm (I will test this yet), but in any case it
would seem that using --whole-file or something could prevent the problem.

It is also possible that the first and last 128K of this file remains the same.

I should add that the backups are running over a gigabit network and that the
system being backed up is a quad-core Opteron system with 8GB RAM so we're not
talking about some old 486 in a closet or something.  Further remember that the
very first full backup completed in less than half an hour, vs. 10 hours.

Thanks,

-- John