BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC very slow backing up 25GB files

2011-02-02 10:38:40
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC very slow backing up 25GB files
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 09:37:22 -0600
On 02/02 03:12 , John Goerzen wrote:
> So I should add that additional testing shows that it was only the first full
> backup that was fast.  Every subsequent backup, whether full or incremental,
> proceeded at the same very slow pace.  rsync pegged at almost 100% CPU on the
> machine being backed up either way.

You may want to experiment with using tar instead of rsync for your backups.
Tar is notably faster than rsync when you know you're going to grab a large
percentage of changed files.

Can you get the database backup broken into smaller chunks? Say per-table
backups rather than one giant dump of the whole database?

You may want to consider a separate backup profile of the database dumps. So
set up one backup for the rest of the machine; and another backup (using
$Conf{ClientNameAlias} to point to the desired machine) just to back up the
database. That way you can use rsync for one and tar for the other.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator