BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] General questions about the background queue and link commands.

2011-02-03 11:27:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] General questions about the background queue and link commands.
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell AT digitalkingdom DOT org>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 17:25:48 +0100
Hi,

Robin Lee Powell wrote on 2011-02-02 08:12:47 -0800 [[BackupPC-users] General
questions about the background queue and link commands.]:
> Let me ask some more general questions:  What does the background queue
> actually *mean*?

from the source (3.2.0beta0, but probably unchanged):

#    - @BgQueue is a queue of automatically scheduled backup requests.

If my memory serves me correctly, BackupPC queues each host it knows about at
each wakeup (presumably unless it's already on a queue ... see %BgQueueOn,
%CmdQueueOn, %UserQueueOn). It then proceeds to process these "backup requests"
in the order they're in the queue. Most of the time, that will simply mean
deciding that it's not yet time for the next backup of this host. Now, if ...

> All but one host (!), 226 out of 227, is in the background queue,
> which seems rather excessive since about half my hosts have recent
> backups.

... I would guess that the first host is currently doing its backup, you've
got $Conf{MaxBackups} = 1, and most of the queue will simply "disappear"
once the running backup is finished, because BackupPC will decide for each
host in turn whether its backup is recent enough.

Of course, if your situation is that one backup is always running (i.e. your
BackupPC server is constantly backing up something), you'll see this situation
most of the time - all of the time if backups take more time than the interval
between wakeups. Well, you obviously won't really have that situation - the
example is just for illustration. But you'll see this (for a possibly short
period of time) whenever a backup takes longer than the wakeup interval, and
whenever the first host to be scheduled is actually backed up (for the
duration of that backup). That is not a problem. It is not an indication of
"high load".

To sum it up, that a host is on @BgQueue does *not* necessarily mean that a
backup will be done for this host, just that a check will be done whether a
backup is needed. If so, the backup will also be done, else it's just the
check.

Note that this also means that backups may start at any time, not just at the
times listed in the WakeupSchedule (but you've probably already noticed that).

Regards,
Holger