BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore entire Windows OS using rsync (usingrescue disk)?

2011-01-04 11:55:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore entire Windows OS using rsync (usingrescue disk)?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 11:51:47 -0500
Ryan Blake wrote at about 08:40:44 -0500 on Tuesday, January 4, 2011:
 > file and simply changed the Path from /cygdrive/c/ to
 > /cygdrive/DriveLetterOfPiggyBackedDrive/.  I finally went onto BackupPC and
 > clicked "Restore" which, a short while later, restored the entire cDrive.
 > If anyone is interested, here is the original file setup
 > (http://www.cyberdeath.us/backuppc/rsyncd.zip).  Please note that I have
 > only had the opportunity to test this on Windows XP and not Windows 7.
 > Also, like others have stated, it did not recreate the ACL data.  I would
 > love, as I am sure others would as well, to see an Cygwin rsyncd build that
 > handles ACLs as well as VSS.  Much thanks to Leen Besselink for writing the
 > one I use :-).

FYI, the VSS script I wrote and contributed in addition to
automatically setting up and taking down shadows & rsyncd over ssh (no
other programs required and no other holes punched in the security)
also automatically captures all the ACL's for each backup share using
either getfacl (but this includes only POSIX ACL's) and/or subinacl
(full Windows ACL's).

By the way I doubt even a dream version of backuppc/rsync will every
capture more than the POSIX acl's, so you still will either need to
extract them somehow from the registry or use subinacl.