BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore entire Windows OS using rsync (usingrescue disk)?

2011-01-04 08:43:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore entire Windows OS using rsync (usingrescue disk)?
From: "Ryan Blake" <rblake3 AT hotmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 08:40:44 -0500
Hello everyone,

I guess I should mention that, after asking this question initially, I
solved my own problem by not using a *nix rescue disk.  Instead, I simply
took another machine and piggybacked the broken drive to it along with
changing DNS to link to the machine (Note that I had to restart nscd on the
server because of this).  After hooking up the drive, I backed it up to the
current "C" drive (just in case) and deleted all the data from it (except
for the System Volume Information folder).  I then when into the rsyncd.conf
file and simply changed the Path from /cygdrive/c/ to
/cygdrive/DriveLetterOfPiggyBackedDrive/.  I finally went onto BackupPC and
clicked "Restore" which, a short while later, restored the entire cDrive.
If anyone is interested, here is the original file setup
(http://www.cyberdeath.us/backuppc/rsyncd.zip).  Please note that I have
only had the opportunity to test this on Windows XP and not Windows 7.
Also, like others have stated, it did not recreate the ACL data.  I would
love, as I am sure others would as well, to see an Cygwin rsyncd build that
handles ACLs as well as VSS.  Much thanks to Leen Besselink for writing the
one I use :-).

~Ryan