BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore entire Windows OS using rsync (using rescue disk)?

2011-01-03 22:44:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore entire Windows OS using rsync (using rescue disk)?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 22:41:30 -0500
Michael Stowe wrote at about 20:17:18 -0600 on Monday, January 3, 2011:
 > You are correct, but if the registry is backed up to BackupPC (using VSS,
 > for example, since it's always open) then it can be restored consistently.
 >  The trick is to unpack it in a different place than the registry in the
 > running OS, then switch over using the recovery console.  (I do have
 > complete details, should you want them.)
 >
 > Like you, I recommend tar, although rsync can probably be made to work if
 > you don't try to restore to the original locations.

Couple of questions:
- Does restoring the registry (actually it seems like there are
  multiple registries) restore all the detailed Windows ACL's and ssid
  stuff?
- How do you handle junctions?
  My understanding is that cygwin sees directory junction as symbolic
  links. This is important because Win7 has a lot of important
  junctions to preserve compatibility with WinXP/2000 and I know for
  certain that Win7 doesn't work well when junctions are replaced by
  symbolic links
- NTFS has various other non-POSIX features that are not translated by
  cygwin (and hence certainly not captured by rsync). One example is
  multiple file streams. Now I don't know if any of these other
  features are commonly used in Windows but I do think there is
  some type of Master Record that is used. In any case, what have you
  done to restore those items?
- I guess more generally, have you succeeded in doing a bare metal
  restore of Window 7 (or even XP) or do you just do this to restore
  user files?
  If you are just restoring user files, I find that my script to
  record all the ACL's (not just the POSIX ones captured by getfacl)
  using subinacl is useful since I can then grep/sed against it to
  restore selected ACL's with individual files.

Again, I don't have much experience in restoring windows so I would
love to hear experiences from others who have done actual bare-metal
or close to bare-metal restores of Windows systems
(Yes, I shamefully admit that even though I have contributed a fair
bit of coded to do shadow backups and backup ACL's, I haven't had the
time or opportunity to really test it on bare-metal restores)

Jeff