BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore entire Windows OS using rsync (using rescue disk)?

2011-01-03 21:20:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore entire Windows OS using rsync (using rescue disk)?
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 20:17:18 -0600
> I've not paid a lot of attentiont to this thread so pardon me if I'm
> repeating anything but..
> I've never done restores using rsync, I always use tar.
>
> briefly:
>  * boot the target system with some kind of rescue CD
>  * use BackupPC_tarCreate to create a stream of files in tar format from
> whichever backup you choose
>  * pipe that through netcat to your target system
>  * unpack the files on the target system by piping the output of netcat to
> tar
>
> The problem with Windows of course is the registry. I've not tried a full
> restore of a Windows box; but I know it would not be easy. Even if you can
> rewrite the Windows bootloader and make it work, it will not necessarily
> have a consistent registry, so application installations may be broken
> anyway.
>
> --
> Carl
> Soderstrom

You are correct, but if the registry is backed up to BackupPC (using VSS,
for example, since it's always open) then it can be restored consistently.
 The trick is to unpack it in a different place than the registry in the
running OS, then switch over using the recovery console.  (I do have
complete details, should you want them.)

Like you, I recommend tar, although rsync can probably be made to work if
you don't try to restore to the original locations.