BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Filesystem corruption: consistency of the pool

2010-12-09 03:55:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Filesystem corruption: consistency of the pool
From: martin f krafft <madduck AT madduck DOT net>
To: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 09:53:25 +0100
also sprach Jeffrey J. Kosowsky <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org> [2010.11.17.0059
+0100]:
> I wrote two programs that might be helpful here:
> 1. BackupPC_digestVerify.pl
>    If you use rsync with checksum caching then this program checks the
>    (uncompressed) contents of each pool file against the stored md4
>    checksum. This should catch any bit errors in the pool. (Note
>    though that I seem to recall that the checksum only gets stored the
>    second time a file in the pool is backed up so some pool files may
>    not have a checksum included - I may be wrong since it's been a
>    while...)

I did a test run of this tool and it took 12 days to run across the
pool. I cannot take the backup machine offline for so long. Is it
possible to run this while BackupPC runs in the background?

> 2. BackupPC_fixLinks.pl
>    This program scans through both the pool and pc trees to look for
>    wrong, duplicate, or missing links. It can fix most errors.

And this?

How else do you suggest I run it?

Thanks,

remember, half the people are below average.

spamtraps: madduck.bogus AT madduck DOT net