BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] FSArchiver?

2010-12-09 03:57:57
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] FSArchiver?
From: Jonathan Schaeffer <jonathan.schaeffer AT univ-brest DOT fr>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 09:35:32 +0100
Le 09/12/2010 06:55, hansbkk AT gmail DOT com a écrit :
> I've been investigating how to backup BackupPC's filesystem,
> specifically the tree with all the hard links (BTW what's the right
> name for it, the one that's not the pool?)
>
> The goal is to be able to bring a verified-good copy of the whole
> volume off-site via a big cahuna sata drive.

I'm answering not exactly to your question, but you might be interested
in this :

If you consider using ZFS as BackupPC's filesystem, there is the awesome
combo :

zfs snapshot   # makes a snapshot of you filesystem, for instance on a
daily bases

zfs send snapshot | ssh backback "zfs receive"

and your filesystem will be exported on host backback AND you will be
able to travel in time by munting the daily snapshots.

Jonathan

> I don't have enough RAM (or time!) for rsync -H and cp -a
>
> I was originally looking at block-level partition imaging tools, from
> mdmraid (RAID1'ing to a removable drive) to dd to Acronis.
>
> I'm also looking at BackupPC_tarPCCopy, which seems great, but
>
> What I'm really looking for is to be able to just mount the resulting
> filesystem on any ol' livecd, without having to restore anything,
> reconstruct LVM/RAID etc complexities just to get at the data - the
> source volume is an LV running on a RAID6 array, but I want the target
> partition to be a normal one.
>
> I've come across this tool: http://www.fsarchiver.org/Main_Page
>
> Does anyone have experience with it?
>
> Any and all feedback/suggestions welcome.

IUEM - Service Informatique
place Nicolas Copernic
29280 Plouzané
France