BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] FSArchiver?

2010-12-09 00:56:49
Subject: [BackupPC-users] FSArchiver?
From: hansbkk AT gmail DOT com
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 12:55:09 +0700
I've been investigating how to backup BackupPC's filesystem,
specifically the tree with all the hard links (BTW what's the right
name for it, the one that's not the pool?)

The goal is to be able to bring a verified-good copy of the whole
volume off-site via a big cahuna sata drive.

I don't have enough RAM (or time!) for rsync -H and cp -a

I was originally looking at block-level partition imaging tools, from
mdmraid (RAID1'ing to a removable drive) to dd to Acronis.

I'm also looking at BackupPC_tarPCCopy, which seems great, but

What I'm really looking for is to be able to just mount the resulting
filesystem on any ol' livecd, without having to restore anything,
reconstruct LVM/RAID etc complexities just to get at the data - the
source volume is an LV running on a RAID6 array, but I want the target
partition to be a normal one.

I've come across this tool: http://www.fsarchiver.org/Main_Page

Does anyone have experience with it?

Any and all feedback/suggestions welcome.