BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] It's not rsync -H as such, it's BackupPC data.

2010-12-07 14:49:45
Subject: [BackupPC-users] It's not rsync -H as such, it's BackupPC data.
From: Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell AT digitalkingdom DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 11:48:02 -0800
On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 11:44:38AM -0800, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 02:18:51PM -0500, Dan Pritts wrote:
> > In practice, rsync -H is the reasonable way to do what you're
> > after, EXCEPT that there are just too many hard links on a
> > backuppc data store for this to work.
>
> And there is a solution to this problem: BackupPC_tarPCCopy.

To be clear: there's nothing wrong with rsync -H for *most* data,
it's just a very very bad choice for BackupPC data and the way it is
interlinked.  Again, see my other post in this thread for details of
how this works and why BackupPC_tarPCCopy is better.

-Robin

--
http://singinst.org/ :  Our last, best hope for a fantastic future.
Lojban (http://www.lojban.org/): The language in which "this parrot