BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] copying the pool to a new filesystem?!

2010-12-02 07:53:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] copying the pool to a new filesystem?!
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 12:51:16 +0000
On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 13:27 +0100, Oliver Freyd wrote:
> The pool is a reiserfs3 on LVM, about 300GB size, but with a lot of
> hardlinks...
> Now I'm trying to put the pool onto a new filesystem, so I created an
> XFS on a striped RAID0 of 3 disks (to speed up copying), and use
> rsync -aHv to copy everything including the hardlinks.
> The cpool itself took about a day, and now it is running for 6 days and
> maybe it has done 70% of the work. BTW, a copy with dd takes about 2 hours.

That span of time is about my experience. I estimated it would take 10
days to move my 1 TB ext3 filesystem to ext4 (with extents), with rsync.
It takes 13 hours with dd over the gigabit LAN.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"Cheops' Law: Nothing ever gets built on schedule or within budget."
   -- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love", by Robert A. Heinlein