BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] copying the pool to a new filesystem?!

2010-12-02 08:08:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] copying the pool to a new filesystem?!
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 07:05:51 -0600
On 12/02 01:27 , Oliver Freyd wrote:
> The pool is a reiserfs3 on LVM, about 300GB size, but with a lot of
> hardlinks...
> Now I'm trying to put the pool onto a new filesystem, so I created an
> XFS on a striped RAID0 of 3 disks (to speed up copying), and use
> rsync -aHv to copy everything including the hardlinks.
> The cpool itself took about a day, and now it is running for 6 days and
> maybe it has done 70% of the work. BTW, a copy with dd takes about 2 hours.

Yep. this is normal. you've discovered why backing up the BackupPC data pool
with rsync is a non-scaleable solution.

As you noted, dd is the way to go if at all possible.

If you want to change the filesystem (i.e. make a file-level copy); best
thing is to use tar.

Presuming that your old data pool is under /var/lib/backuppc and the new
filesystem is mounted on /mnt/newfilesystem:

cd /var/lib/backuppc; tar cpf - . | tar xpv -C /mnt/newfilesystem

Is the use of RAID0 on 3 disks a temporary thing? Keep in mind that the more
disks you have the greater the likelihood that one of them will die. With
RAID0 if one dies you lose all your data.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator