BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Don't use rsync -H!! (was Re: copying the pool to a new filesystem?!)

2010-12-08 00:09:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Don't use rsync -H!! (was Re: copying the pool to a new filesystem?!)
From: Dan Pritts <danno AT internet2 DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 00:06:40 -0500
On Dec 7, 2010, at 2:44 PM, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 02:18:51PM -0500, Dan Pritts wrote:
>> umount /var/lib/backuppc
>> dd if=/dev/onedisk of=/dev/someotherdisk bs=1M
>
> Only works if you have identical disks, which is hard when you've
> got a few TiB on a SAN.

The disks do not have to be identical.  The target just has to be as big or
bigger than the source.

The target "disk" of course could be another SAN lun, a linux softraid of
external disks, etc.

Currently, my offsite backup set consists of 2 pairs of disks containing my
backuppc filesystem and other data.  With 2TB disks, a 10TB disk-based offsite
would be doable, although it would clearly take quite a while to cut the disks.

If I had that big a pool, I think I'd not be using a single backuppc instance,
but that's just me.  I'm guessing it works well for you, I'm glad it does.

danno