BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up whole linux system

2010-09-29 11:43:48
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up whole linux system
From: "B. Alexander" <storm16 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 11:41:37 -0400
I have a pre-backup script that runs

dpkg --get-selections > <hostname>.pkglist

I make sure that this file is backed up. (the script actually gathers the package list plus captures the drive and partition information.) In the event of a rebuild or a cloning of a system, I can build the base system (I'm also going to work on preseed configs for them as time permits), then do

dpkg --set-selections < <hostname>.pkglist
apt-get dselect-upgrade

This will install all of the packages that are available in the list.

As for selecting backup targets, I cherry pick them as needed. For instance, on my wiki, I make sure to get all of the wiki directories (and /var/www), while on my db servers, I have a pre-backup script that dumps the db to /var/backups, and so forth. If crontabs are important to you, then you need to make sure at least /var/spool/cron is included in your backup set.

I admit, it does offer a steeper learning curve with respect to setting up backups, but on the plus side, it also saves disk space by not backing up files that are stock from the repository. Finally, to see where your files are located, you can issue a dpkg -L <pkgname> to get a listing of all the files in that package. Scroll through it and see if there is anything that you should probably back up.

As another poster said, this is probably intermediate to advanced behavior, so if you are not  sure, back up the whole machine.

HTH,
--b