BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up whole linux system

2010-09-29 09:04:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up whole linux system
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 08:01:55 -0500
On 9/29/10 1:15 AM, Boniforti Flavio wrote:
> Hello!
> I know we're about to go a bit OT, but could you please tell me how you
> eventually would recover to the last running configuration of y Debian server
> by
> recovering also the installed packages?
> I am now thinking about backing up my /etc only: do you think that would be
> enough, considering that only squid and iptables are the main softwares used?
> Of
> course, I have some tiny tools like webalizer (which involves the use of
> /var/www) and webmin (which I hope has all its configs in /etc/). Also
> crontabs
> are vital for me...
> Many thanks,
> F.

I'd recommend backing up the whole server if you aren't completely sure what
you
need.  If you know how to restore a linux machine from a tar archive you can do
that from the output of BackupPC_tarCreate.  The process would involve booting
live CD of some sort, manually partitioning and making the filesystems,
mounting
them into the running system then perhaps using ssh to issue the
BackupPC_tarCreate command to the backuppc server and extracting the output in
the right place.  Then you would need to install grub to make the system
bootable.   However, if the machine is mostly just running packages from the
distribution or you are using different hardware for the replacement, you may
find it easier to reinstall, then pull only the config and data files you need
out of the backup.  If you update to a newer version of the distribution as a
base, you may have to hand-edit your original changes into the the config files
instead of simply copying them back, but that is straightforward if you restore
to a different location where you can diff against the new distribution copy.