BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up whole linux system

2010-09-29 08:19:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up whole linux system
From: Dinesh Shah (દિનેશ શાહ/दिनेश शाह) <dineshah AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 17:46:55 +0530

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 12:24 AM, Boniforti Flavio <flavio AT piramide DOT ch> wrote:
Hello people.

I need to back up my Debian server, which mainly acts as a gateway (iptables) and proxy (squid). I’d like to back it up in a way that should enable me to recover the whole system onto a new harddisk drive, if the actual one would fail.
Is backupPC right for this purpose, or would it be better to take some sort of “snapshots” with some other software/tool?

I would suggest http://clonezilla.org/ for taking snapshots and use backuppc for configuration, custom scripts and log files

Many thanks in advance.

HTH
With regards,