BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] multiple DumpPostUserCmd instances

2010-08-20 09:37:40
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] multiple DumpPostUserCmd instances
From: barry newman <netlanlord AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 09:35:35 -0400
On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 2:57 PM, barry newman <netlanlord AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
> wrote:
>> On 8/19/2010 10:47 AM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
>>> Michael Stowe wrote at about 09:54:27 -0500 on Thursday, August 19, 2010:
>>>   >  >   I need to be able to start my mysql server after my backup is
>>>   >  >  complete , but I am also using a script to send email with various
>>>   >  >  stats. Can I chain commands in this field ? I tried calling a script
>>>   >  >  but it looses the variable substitutions for my email ($type,
>>> $client
>>>   >  >  , etc). Was thinking converting this to an array in the code but if
>>>   >  >  there is a quick fix I am all ears! Thanks
>>>   >  >
>>>   >  >  -barry
>>>   >
>>>   >  Wait, what's wrong with running a script?  What do you mean "looses
>>>   >  variable substitutions?"
>>>
>>> I think he needs to pass the variables he intends to use in his script
>>> on the script command line (as ARGV's). Of course, he will need to be
>>> careful if any of these variables require "protection" or if any of
>>> them are pointers, arrays, hashes, etc. But if he is passing "simple"
>>> variables without white space or other special Bash characters, it
>>> should be easy to pass the parameters on the command line.
>>
>> Generally something like:
>> script2 "$@"
>> in a shell script would pass along the same positional parameters that
>> the initial script received.
>>
>> --
>>   Les Mikesell
>>    lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com

>  I can't use mysqldump as the vendor does not provide username/passwd
> for the database server (mysql on windows bleachhh). Yes basically I
> stop the mysql server , back it up , and start after backup. But I
> want to also use my email script that uses $type,$xferOK,$client,$host
> etc after the backup completes. Both work fine individually just
> looking to either concatenate them into a single call or call a script
> that doesn't loose the backuppc variables. Also need the $sshpath
> variable to start mysql at the end. I will try the "$@" and see if
> that works. Thanks
>
> -barry

  Still no go.. I am surprised no one has had this problem before.
Searching the list and finding nothing. Maybe I will try to add it to
the interface as DumpPostUserCmd2 but this seems like an overkill for
a simple task. Let me know if you have any more suggestions... Until
then I am brushing off my perl books :) .. Thanks

-barry