BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] multiple DumpPostUserCmd instances

2010-08-19 15:00:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] multiple DumpPostUserCmd instances
From: barry newman <netlanlord AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 14:57:47 -0400
On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
> On 8/19/2010 10:47 AM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
>> Michael Stowe wrote at about 09:54:27 -0500 on Thursday, August 19, 2010:
>>   >  >   I need to be able to start my mysql server after my backup is
>>   >  >  complete , but I am also using a script to send email with various
>>   >  >  stats. Can I chain commands in this field ? I tried calling a script
>>   >  >  but it looses the variable substitutions for my email ($type, $client
>>   >  >  , etc). Was thinking converting this to an array in the code but if
>>   >  >  there is a quick fix I am all ears! Thanks
>>   >  >
>>   >  >  -barry
>>   >
>>   >  Wait, what's wrong with running a script?  What do you mean "looses
>>   >  variable substitutions?"
>>
>> I think he needs to pass the variables he intends to use in his script
>> on the script command line (as ARGV's). Of course, he will need to be
>> careful if any of these variables require "protection" or if any of
>> them are pointers, arrays, hashes, etc. But if he is passing "simple"
>> variables without white space or other special Bash characters, it
>> should be easy to pass the parameters on the command line.
>
> Generally something like:
> script2 "$@"
> in a shell script would pass along the same positional parameters that
> the initial script received.
>
> --
>   Les Mikesell
>    lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com

 I can't use mysqldump as the vendor does not provide username/passwd
for the database server (mysql on windows bleachhh). Yes basically I
stop the mysql server , back it up , and start after backup. But I
want to also use my email script that uses $type,$xferOK,$client,$host
etc after the backup completes. Both work fine individually just
looking to either concatenate them into a single call or call a script
that doesn't loose the backuppc variables. Also need the $sshpath
variable to start mysql at the end. I will try the "$@" and see if
that works. Thanks

-barry