BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] New BackupPC server on Debian: which version?

2010-08-19 18:15:00
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] New BackupPC server on Debian: which version?
From: Rob Owens <rowens AT ptd DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 18:14:05 -0400
On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 11:59:55AM +0200, Boniforti Flavio wrote:
> Hy Rob.
>
> > BackupPC has only a few dependencies, and this makes it
> > fairly easy to install the Debian testing version in Debian stable.
>
> [cut]
>
> Thanks for your reply.
> What about the future versions of BackupPC? Who know if they'll still
> get backported to run on Lenny?
> This is actually my only concern.

I don't think there's any guarantee about that.  Currently, BackupPC is
not backported to Lenny.  However, the version in testing (Squeeze)
works fine on Lenny.  Also remember that Squeeze has just been frozen,
so it'll probably be released as stable in 9 months or so (based on past
freeze/release timeframes).

> Or would there be an other Linux distro which could be used for a
> "stable, still upgradable" BackupPC server?

You might want to consider learning how to do backports yourself, if
this is really important to you.  For some packages this is very
straightforward to do on Debian.  For other packages it's a lot of work.
I have very limited experience with this, but in general I think the
fewer dependencies, the easier it is to backport.  BackupPC has several
dependencies, but fairly few which require a specific version of a
dependency package.

-Rob